Call us now ! Send us an email http://maps.google.com/maps?q=United States

Back to Top

Why You Should Avoid Using Aluminum Residential Wiring for Your Home

residential
In the middle of the 1960s, the prices of the preferred copper wiring rose so high that aluminum wiring began to be used in many homes. Over time, however, it will start to break down, causing faulty connections and eventually starting fires. Here are some reasons to consider changing out your aluminum wiring:

Poor Connections and Fire Hazards

As temperature increases when current flows through the connectors, aluminum expands, creating pressure and allowing the soft metal to enter into spaces within the connector. When the current stops flowing, the metal cools and gaps form between the connector and the wire. Over time, the connection keeps getting hotter, electricity is not conducted as well and, finally, the connection can either burn out, or the material around it catch on fire.

Life Span Matters

Aluminum wiring has a life of around 30 years. If you are sure that you have this type of wiring in your home, you should consider having it replaced, especially if it is getting on in years.

Warning Signs

In many cases, there are no warning signs, but if you notice the following, you should probably have your electrical system inspected:
  • Incandescent lights flicker a lot or burn out faster than normal
  • There’s a smell of burning plastic
  • There are scorch marks at the site of a face plate, or you feel warmth around it
If you are installing wiring for the first time, you probably want to avoid using aluminum. If you already have it, there are measures you can take to avoid complete home rewiring. To speak with experts, contact Richardson Ready Electric Incorporated today.